Saturday 28 May 2016

Pentecost Love Story

A Pentecost Story

Pentecost. I really don't know what that means, but everyone seems to have a long weekend. Peonies are blossoming in the garden. The sun is shining, I am busy finding nuts. One day, while I am eating a big delicious nut on the table tennis table in my garden, I all of a sudden hear a noise. I haven't heard anything like that for a long time now. It's a short moan. I look up and then I see her. A beautiful red female squirrel is sitting on the wall. She is tiny, her fur is a little darker than mine and she has big beautiful eyes and long fluffy ears. She stares at me and moves her tail. I respond to her with a similar sound and I think: "Hell yeah, finally I can reproduce". So I start chasing her. I'm pretty sure she wants me. Normally I should be the one looking for a female, but I was too busy finding nuts this spring. I am a lucky guy. So off we go. We're chasing each other up and down the trees, jumping from tree to tree, waving our tails, calling each other. She's always next to me. She must be receptive to mating. So that's what we do. I immediately forget about the long lonely winter and my time alone on the walnut tree. Finally I can do what squirrels are supposed to do in spring. Is this the meaning of my life? I really have no time right now to answer that question. Lady S. keeps chasing me, she doesn't give me a break. We start playing early in the morning every day now, when everyone else is still sleeping and we won't stop until it gets dark. It's exhausting but right now I don't care. I enjoy the distraction. 





No comments:

Post a Comment